Coming Up on ForYourBenefit
Host Bob Leins, CPA® welcomes Tammy Flanagan, Senior Benefits Director at NITP, and Mike Causey of Federal News Radio, to talk about the best dates to retire.
This topic has become more complicated for employees retiring under the three-tiered FERS retirement system that includes Social Security, the FERS Basic Benefit (government pension) and the Thrift Savings Plan. Today's show will focus on the "best dates" to separate from Federal service under CSRS and FERS in 2018 and 2019, but the discussion may also include the following related topics:
- What are the mental, financial, Federal benefits and tax preparations that need to be done before selecting your date?
- What are your plans for your life after retirement?
- Can you afford to be retired to age 99?
- Have you done your retirement tax planning?
- Do you understand the withholdings, reductions and computation of your CSRS and FERS retirement benefit?
- How do you select the best date to retire under FERS and CSRS?
- The last day of the month for FERS, CSRS and CSRS Offset optional retirements
- The first three days of the month for CSRS and CSRS Offset
- Why not any other day of the month?
- What about disability, early retirements and deferred retirements?
- What is so special about the end of the leave year?
- What happens to your leftover annual and sick leave at retirement?
- What about your Thrift Savings Plan?
- What is the best time to "turn on" your Social Security retirement?
- What if you are working past your full retirement age?
- Do you plan to work after you retire?
- Are you retiring under age 62?
- Will you receive a CSRS retirement benefit? Consider the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
For questions or comments, email us in advance at ForYourBenefit@nitpinc.com
A Look Ahead
October 1, 2018: Host Bob Leins, CPA® welcomes Phil Gardner, Federal Benefits Specialist to talk about planning for retirement
Most Recent Past Shows
September 17, 2018: Coping With Stress, with Patti Hudson, Life Coach and Health Educator
September 10, 2018: Benefits of Life Insurance, with Shane Canfield, CEO WAEPA, and David Love, CLU, CLTC
September 3, 2018: How To Get The Most Out of Your Financial Planning Meeting, with Joe Sullender, CFP®
August 27, 2018: Back To School Financial Planning, with Karen Schaeffer, CFP® and Megan Schaeffer, Estate Planning Attorney
Or, if you prefer, listen on your own schedule -- all shows are archived and available 24/7.
ForYourBenefit is NITP’s weekly radio show which features information and discussion on topics of interest to the Federal employee, including Federal Benefits, financial and retirement planning, and other issues.
Guests and topics change weekly – In 2018, our guests will help you plan and navigate through retirement issues and concerns.